CHICAGO — Effective library assessment is crucial for a successful academic library. But what do we mean by library assessment and how can it be used to improve library service? “Putting Library Assessment Data to Work,” published by Facet Publishing and available through the ALA Store, takes common sources of data that academic libraries already collect and presents simple qualitative and quantitative techniques that can be used to evaluate and assess their services, both in detail and overall. Editors Selena Killick and Frankie Wilson, alongside their contributors, present different assessment methods from a practical perspective with a theoretical grounding. Featuring case studies to illustrate how the methodologies have successfully been applied, this book includes coverage of:
- the theoretical framework for assessment, its purpose, and the tools and techniques used;
- institutional, national, and international student surveys and how they can be used to improve library service;
- the history and development of standardized library surveys (eg LibQUAL+®), how they have been used, and their impact;
- the benefits of in-house library surveys and case studies;
- qualitative feedback in the library; and
- taking a holistic approach to library assessment through advocacy and strategic planning.
Customers outside of North America (USA and Canada) should contact Facet Publishing for purchasing information.
Killick is the Senior Library Services Manager responsible for Student Engagement at the Open University Library and regularly analyses, presents, publishes and advises libraries internationally on library assessment. Wilson is the Head of Assessment at the Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford, UK, providing strategic leadership for assessment throughout the Libraries, including training staff in assessment techniques, and designing and running assessment activities to drive changes in service provision to improve customer satisfaction.
Facet Publishing, the commercial publishing and bookselling arm of CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals, is the leading publisher of books for library and information professionals worldwide. ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. Contact us at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5052 or [email protected].
Originally published at https://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2019/11/assessment-data-academic-library