CHICAGO — The Public Library Association (PLA) has awarded thirty (30) scholarships for public library professionals and students to attend the PLA 2022 Conference, taking place March 23–25 in Portland, Ore. As part of PLA’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion in the library profession, scholarships were distributed among three categories: Early-career Library Staff Scholarships, Non-Salaried or Unemployed Library Staff Scholarships, and Library School Student Scholarships.
Each scholarship includes complimentary conference registration, one year of ALA and PLA membership, and a $500 stipend for travel and housing. Scholarship recipients include:
- Sharlisa Addison, Austin (Texas) Public Library
- George Barnhouse, Sarasota County Library System (Sarasota, Fla.)
- Yvette Cabrera, Los Angeles (Calif.) Public Library
- Beatrice Couser, Lebanon (N.H.) Public Libraries
- Aryssa Damron, DC Public Library (Washington, D.C.)
- Ariel Dyer, City of Shafter (Calif.) Library
- Vivian Edwards, Pierce County Library System (Tacoma, Wash.)
- Jacqueline Escobar, Hempstead (N.Y.) Public Library
- Krystal Espana, McMinnville (Ore.) Public Library
- Cail Fletcher, Grimes (Iowa) Public Library
- Abigail Gallagher, Millbrook (N.Y.) Library
- Liliana Garcia, DC Public Library (Washington, D.C.)
- Rita Ghazala, San Diego County Library (San Diego, Calif.)
- Micah Gross, Cobb County Public Library (Marietta, Ga.)
- Alfredo Gutierrez, The New York (N.Y.) Public Library
- Eric Hsu, Los Angeles (Calif.) Public Library
- Laura Judge, Chelmsford (Mass.) Public Library
- Jherusha Lambert, DC Public Library (Washington, D.C.)
- Melanie Laurance, Hoover (Ala.) Public Library
- Jhani Miller, Brooklyn (N.Y.) Public Library
- Karla Quiroz, Newburgh (N.Y.) Free Library
- Hope Saldivar, Yolo County Library (Woodland, Calif.)
- Yareli Sanchez Arenas, Chelsea (Mass.) Public Library
- Roberta Schoon, Three Rivers (Mich.) Public Library
- Carla Siqueiros, Chesterfield County Public Library (Chesterfield, Va.)
- Sophia Skeans, Queens Public Library (Jamaica, N.Y.)
- Kailyn Slater, Forest Park (Ill.) Public Library
- Kate Thompson, West Des Moines (Iowa) Public Library
- Anders Villalta, University of California, Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Troy Walker, Orion Township (Mich.) Public Library
Offered biennially, the PLA Conference is the premier event for public libraries, drawing thousands of librarians, library support staff, trustees, friends and library vendors from across the country and around the world. The PLA 2022 Conference will be held March 23–25 in Portland, Ore. For complete details, visit the PLA Conference website. Advance registration closes Feb. 18, 2022.
PLA’s Conference Scholarship program is made possible by the generous support of our members and friends. To donate, please visit and select “Divisions” > “PLA” and enter your donation amount in the box titled “Friends of PLA.” Your tax-deductible donation will help to ensure the future vitality of the profession and the association.
For more information about other PLA events and programs, contact the PLA office at [email protected] or (800) 545-2433, ext. 5PLA, or visit www.pla.org.
# # #
About the Public Library Association
The Public Library Association (PLA) is the largest association dedicated to supporting the unique and evolving needs of public library professionals. Founded in 1944, PLA serves nearly 10,000 members in public libraries large and small in communities across the United States and Canada, with a growing presence around the world. PLA strives to help its members shape the essential institution of public libraries by serving as an indispensable ally for public library leaders. For more information about PLA, contact the PLA office at 1 (800) 545-2433, ext. 5PLA, or [email protected].
Originally published at https://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2022/02/pla-announces-2022-conference-scholarship-winners
ShowBiz - Show Biz clinic originally published at ShowBiz - Show Biz clinic